West Kent Befriending service was established in March 2014 and regularly reaches over 100 people every week across Dartford, Gravesham, Swanley, Maidstone, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells and Malling
Did you know studies show around 1 million older people regularly go an entire month without speaking to anyone and half of all older people consider the television their main form of company?
Loneliness is a massive issue for people in later life in the UK. Half of all people aged 75 and over live alone, and 1 in 10 people aged 65 or over say they are always or often lonely – that’s just over 1 million people!
One of the ways we try to beat loneliness in later life is through our FREE Befriending Service.
Providing regular face to face contact and a little company helps reduce loneliness and isolation, increasing motivation and confidence.
Befriending is about getting to know someone in your neighbourhood, sharing a cup of tea and enjoying each others’ company. Whether you can spare a few hours once a week or fortnight or can give a couple of days each month we will know someone that needs your help.
FIVE REASONS TO VOLUNTEER?
- Sharing time changes lives: This is the simplest and most valuable reason to volunteer.
- Make yourself feel good: It takes just one chat, one laugh, one heartfelt thank you from someone who’s spent days alone to know this feels good.
- Its Flexible: Befriending can fit around you, it can be a couple of hours every month or an hour once a week.
- Make the most of your retirement: Volunteering is a great way to continue to do worthwhile work and maintain your confidence at a time when the transition out of employment can be difficult. Your wealth of experience will be really useful as a befriender.
- Boost your CV: Whether you’re employed or looking for work, volunteering is great to have on your CV.
Please follow this link to hear the difference befriending makes: https://www.facebook.com/westkentbefriendingservice?fref=ts
Reaching the people that are in need of our help can be difficult as they are often not seen or heard, so if you know someone that may benefit from our befriending service or you’d just like to find out more, please get in touch: Free phone 0800 0484668 or find us on Facebook